It’s barbecue and party season which means lots of good food and lots of temptations that might not be the best for our fitness goals. Below are some summer snack ideas for yourself and kiddos that allow you to indulge but still help keep you on track.
1. Make your own trail mix! Often trail mix from a bag has added sugars and salts that make it less of a healthy treat. Try mixing your own:
- Gluten free Chex mix
- Unsalted peanuts
- Dark chocolate chips
2. Fruits and veggies are always the perfect for the summer. Blueberries are a great on-the-go snack that has lots of antioxidants and can add sweetness to yogurt or oatmeal!
3. Frozen grapes are a great snack to have to give you something sweet to eat on a hot day; kiddos will love them too!
4. Coach Leah’s Summer Salsa!
- 2 Avocadoes (peeled, pitted, and cubed) slightly firm is best
- 3 Roma Tomatoes (can substitute 2 large regular tomatoes)
- 1 Can Southwest Corn (drained)
- 1 Can Black Beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 Cup Vinegar
- 3/4 Cup Avocado Oil (can substitute canola oil)
- 1 or 2 Packets Dry Italian Dressing Mix (or bypass preservatives with your own mix: garlic powder, oregano, pepper, and salt to taste)